Friday, September 17, 2010

Guess I blew off my updates!

My AT&T saga gets deeper.

A coworker, who lives upstairs from me, got a free microcell letter like everyone's been talking about. He was honestly surprised to have gotten it, as apparently being a floor up makes a difference between night and day here for AT&T reception.

I was preparing to call AT&T to ask, politely, what the hell was up with that, when Tiffany called me back.

Long story short, she just restated everything she'd told me last time we talked.

After being polite for about ten minutes, I asked to speak to her supervisor.

This is when shit got weird.

I asked him about the letters. He said he was aware they were being sent out.

I asked him why my co-worker, as well as my supervisor, had both gotten the letters, which state that they're "VIP" AT&T customers, despite neither of them having been with AT&T for more than 6 months, and I've been with them for many years, and stuck with them despite 4 months of signal problems.

"Well, AT&T... I wouldn't say randomly selects people to offer the Microcell to for free, but they do select customers based on predicted need for it, as well as value as a customer."

I asked him why my supervisor is more valuable a customer than I am.

"I can't go into detail on why they were selected over you," was his answer.

I asked him why my coworker was selected, since he has never had a signal problem period.

"I can't go into detail on why he was selected over you," was his reply again.

I asked him if AT&T valued my business.

"Well, I wouldn't say that... but... we'd hate to lose you as a customer."

I informed him that when my contract was up, I intended not to renew, and that I wasn't going to be able to recommend AT&T to my friends, customers, or co-workers any more.

All he replied with was "I'm sorry to hear that."

I asked him how we could fix this situation, so that I went away and kept paying my $160-ish a month bill.

"I can't think of anything that I can offer you."

"I've been quoted an upgrade price of $149 for a handset to replace the one I have on my account that can't talk to the 3G Microcell. Can we arrange even a partial credit toward that, since it's the same price as the Microcell, and Tiffany informed me that no one is able to make deals on the Microcell."

"I'm not prepared to do that."

Am I being unreasonable? Am I being selfish? All I want is for service I pay for to work, and to not have to pay $150 for the Microcell, $150 for a new phone that I don't really want, or $400-ish for a decent handset?

T-Mobile is certainly sounding like a great option right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment